semidetached semidetached

Desconectado deborah X

Showbiz... USA...
« en: Lun, 17 de Mar del 2008, a las 08:08:37 »
What The Hell Happened To... Muse - Showbiz
Posted by Dan Marsicano on 03.17.2008

This week, 411's Dan Marsicano is going overseas to look at the debut album of the British trio Muse. Showbiz shows a different side of the band, a more melodic one. Why didn't this album attract much attention in America, compared to their later releases?

The Introduction

It's Monday, it's Spring Break (for most college kids), and I'm still here to give you all the 19th edition of What The Hell Happened To!

On a side note, in case you all were wondering, it is now 17 days until my one year anniversary at 411mania! Get ready for a special edition of What The Hell Happened To that will celebrate one year…no, I'm just kidding. It'll be like any other edition. I'm not a big fan of tooting my own horn or anything. Just some cards (with money) and some feedback will do for that special day.

Enough about me, it's the music's turn to do all the talking! This week, I'm going overseas to a band most of you probably didn't know about until a few years ago. Muse hit these shores with 2003's Absolution. Driven by the catchy single "Hysteria," Muse was able to make an impact in the States. However, did you know that the band had actually been around for about ten years before Absolution?

Well, its true, and I'm listening to Muse's 1999 debut album Showbiz to show America that they shouldn't had waited five years to embrace this British trio. Europe jumped all over their debut album while here in the States, the album didn't even chart. It went on to sell about 100,000 copies in America, which isn't bad for a debut album, but compare that to the almost million copies overseas. It's a bit of a difference, if you ask me.

Now its time to plug my earphones in and listen to the sound of a band that is radically different, yet similar, to their future releases.

The History

Muse formed in the early 1990's under the band name Rocket Baby Dolls. At the time, Bellamy was only 14 years old and the other band members were also quite young. They won a local battle of the bands and decided to continue with their music career, quitting school and going on the road.

The band would play small clubs for a few years, but after two successful EP's, Muse got the attention of record labels in America, of all places. This would later be ironic, as their album did poorly in America, while Europe, which had record executives who wanted nothing to do with the band, would embrace the trio.

So everything was done and the band had record deals in Europe and America set up. In September of 1999, Showbiz was released to limited fanfare. Over time, however, at least in the UK, the band's popularity would steadily increase as more singles were released.

The Analysis

Showbiz shows the softer side of Muse, compared to the wall of sound they would achieve in Origins of Symmetry and Absolution. Their sound is more in vein of alternative rock, with very few of the progressive and experimental elements that were heard on later albums. The band is keeping it simple and safe, for the most part.

That isn't a bad thing though, as Showbiz is a solid debut album. Listening to the album nine years after it was released; you can hear the potential that the band has. Whether it was because of pressure from the record labels or their young age, Muse comes off at times like they listened to way too much Radiohead and Queen. However, there are bright spots in the album that made me smile, as it was like the Muse we all know and love peaking its head out for a brief time.

Like I said earlier, a lot of these songs are softer than we are used to from the band. Acoustic guitars are used sparingly to add some atmosphere, but they don't sound as catchy as "City of Delusion." These acoustic guitars are the "I'm lonely and depressed" sounding ones. "Unintended" is the song I'm really talking about, as it is basically an acoustic ballad that gets a bit heavier at the end. It's a sound the band has never returned to, which is a shame, as I think Matt's vocals are perfect for the occasional ballad.

The piano is one of the most important instruments used in the band. It is like the dark horse of the band. Muse knows the exact spots to use the piano, whether it's unexpectedly in the middle of a track ala "Butterflies & Hurricanes" ("Fillip") or to drive the main melody of the song ("Sunburn"). Surprisingly, there is a piano ballad on the album ("Falling Down") that has some of the most passionate vocals Matt has ever done in his career. I actually wish it was used even more, as some of my favorite Muse moments on the album involved Matt's stylistic piano work.

The band does kick it into higher gear occasionally, bringing on the distorted guitars and steady rhythm section. "Cave" and the first section of "Fillip" are as heavy as the band has ever gotten. The band experiments briefly with their sound during these heavy songs, with "Uno" being a prime section. The song goes from sounding like an 80's metal reject, to a spaghetti western, to an alternative metal song, then rinse and repeat. The title track is also one of the most epic songs the band has done, taking two minutes to build up before all hell breaks loose. The song also displays a great guitar solo from Matt that fits the mood perfectly.

Matt Bellamy is still finding his comfort zone on vocals, his falsetto vocals still not quite up to the level that they would become later on. His guitar playing is good, but like his vocals, would improve with later releases. The piano work he brings to the table, however, is really phenomenal, as I mentioned earlier. It boggles my mind that the piano works so well on Showbiz, not once being a hindrance or nuisance to the music itself.

The rhythm section of Chris Wolstenholme and Dominic Howard compliments Bellamy very well. I have always loved Wolstenholme's bass playing and he gets many chances to lead the song along and to stand out among most alternative rock bassists. Howard is consistent and is able to keep up with the unpredictability of the music, like when the song randomly goes into a melodic, piano-driven section.

Showbiz hasn't, and probably won't, get the credit it deserves in America. It is much softer, more in vein of alternative rock, than any of their other releases. I still enjoy it, and while I don't give it as much attention as Muse's other releases, Showbiz is the beginning of the rise to greatness that Muse would go on.

What happened after the poor sales of Showbiz? When the record executives tried to make Muse big in the states, it didn't work out like they played. So, of course, the record executives wanted Bellamy to tone down his falsetto vocals for their next album. Bellamy refused and that led to…well, I think I'll leave that story for another edition.

The Conclusion

I hope you all enjoyed this look back at a debut from a band that is a personal favorite of mine.

link

IAMTerrified

Desconectado Jazz

• Alcohol Jazz
Re: Showbiz... USA...
« Respuesta #1 en: Lun, 17 de Mar del 2008, a las 08:37:14 »
Yo siempre he dicho y lo sostengo... Showbiz es el mejor disco de Muse (para mi..obvio), y claro que hasta yo me hubiese negado a quitar esos falcetes extrafalarios que complementan la melodia del trio. Muse es Showbiz...
Lo demas es lo que Muse puede crear con un poco de imaginacion.. xD

me preparo para el linchamiento
« última modificación: Lun, 17 de Mar del 2008, a las 08:42:10 por JazzBellamy »

Desconectado josiri

« Respuesta #2 en: Lun, 17 de Mar del 2008, a las 11:33:43 »
Muse es Showbiz...
Lo demas es lo que Muse puede crear con un poco de imaginacion.. xD

me preparo para el linchamiento

Opino como tu ,pero no tan tajantemente.Muse es Showbiz,pero por supuesto tb es Origin of Symmetry.

Por un lado hasta me alegro que los yankis no tengan esa vision de la banda tan melancólica y personal.

Desconectado @n@k@

• Fotofurcia 07 (Patrocinado por Kodak)
« Respuesta #3 en: Lun, 17 de Mar del 2008, a las 14:25:06 »
Showbiz es mi disco favorito... BH&R es una mierda comparado con Showbiz

« Respuesta #4 en: Lun, 17 de Mar del 2008, a las 14:59:26 »
yo prefiero showbiz a BH&R..
es mi disco favorito dp de OOS

Desconectado musemusé

• Dobleete!
« Respuesta #5 en: Lun, 17 de Mar del 2008, a las 20:11:57 »
Pues yo prefiero los agujeros negros

Desconectado _nOA-

• ................o no?
« Respuesta #6 en: Lun, 17 de Mar del 2008, a las 20:15:18 »
Pos prefiero yo tb el showbiz al black holes....pero donde este el OoS.... :whistle

o                             M                     F                      G  blanco y en botella....piña colada.

Desconectado Biork

• I am a Knight of Cydonia
« Respuesta #7 en: Lun, 17 de Mar del 2008, a las 20:20:06 »
Entre Showbiz y B&H, Showbiz  :)

Los 5 son unos discazos, no hay ninguna que no me guste, pero Showbiz está el segundo  ^^

PD = Muy buen artículo  :)
« última modificación: Lun, 17 de Mar del 2008, a las 20:25:06 por Biork »
- Explotó Glósóli!, qué genial! ^^
- ¿Sabes que no entendí nada? Ah si, creo que si. ¿Es una estrella? WTF! - No!! Es una canción de Sigur Rós!
-------------------- - Y yo me retiro a mis aposenos...    ???

Desconectado L. Wolstenholme

• tea duck queen, feet troll pea cat door
« Respuesta #8 en: Lun, 17 de Mar del 2008, a las 21:24:23 »
Esatria mas de acuerdo si hubiera una bonita traduccion, bueno, yo y los que no se hayan podido pagar la escuela en Osford ekisde
Y como no es filtro, entonces será ojete, en este caso, ojete de monico, porque sí, es un ojete, pero un ojete elegante con muchas cosas guays.

Desconectado La Puta Nube

• Cumulus Sarcasmus 2010
  • dew bss cnt
« Respuesta #9 en: Lun, 17 de Mar del 2008, a las 21:27:39 »
SWBZ o BH&R?
OoS
:)
que bonico ma quedao
po mu bien

Desconectado deborah X

« Respuesta #10 en: Lun, 17 de Mar del 2008, a las 22:08:20 »
asombrosos resultados  :ohmy:
IAMTerrified

Desconectado Beibi

• Administrando muserismo con arte 2012
  • You’ve been...a very...very...naughty little girl
« Respuesta #11 en: Lun, 17 de Mar del 2008, a las 22:12:07 »
Pues yo me quedo con BHAR

Desconectado gero

• now testify
« Respuesta #12 en: Lun, 17 de Mar del 2008, a las 23:05:59 »
Controlling my feelings for too long..
follow the white rabbit...

Desconectado Geles

« Respuesta #13 en: Mar, 18 de Mar del 2008, a las 09:26:05 »
Totalmente de acuerdo con el autor del artículo. BHR a muelte :p jajaj

Esatria mas de acuerdo si hubiera una bonita traduccion, bueno, yo y los que no se hayan podido pagar la escuela en Osford ekisde
Tengo la intención de traducirlo, porque es un buen artículo, bien redactado y con una opinión bastante equilibrada, así que paciencia :)

Desconectado El Puto Guiri

• The Writer
  • Chaaaaaaaaar
« Respuesta #14 en: Mar, 18 de Mar del 2008, a las 15:35:30 »
Donde se ponga Fillip que se quite el BH&R xD

TinyPortal © 2005-2012