semidetached semidetached

Desconectado deborah X

Entrevista a Chris: Tsunami Mag
« en: ſáb, 13 de Ene del 2007, a las 02:28:41 »
Few festivals are so hotly anticipated as the Big Day Out. Year after year, some of the greatest names in modern music grace our shores to be a part of the fun. The Mars Volta, Nine Inch Nails, The Prodigy, Soundgarden, Beastie Boys, Nirvana...the list reads like a cultural who's who of our times. Returning for their second Big Day Out tour is rock behemoth Muse. Tsunami caught up with bassist Chris Wolstenholme to get the full picture.

By Greg Reason

Muse have gone from strength to strength since their second album Origin of Symmetry established them as one of the greatest rock bands in the world. They've played to packed arenas around the globe, delivered a blistering concert DVD and picked up numerous awards. Their third album, Absolution, was an apocalyptic masterpiece that was as much about subtlety and atmosphere as sheer rock power. Fourth time around, Muse have stood up and delivered a socially aware and sonically fascinating exploration of freedom and containment.

"I think it's something that people have thought about over the last four or five years," says Wolstenholme of the political underpinnings of Black Holes and Revelations . "Before the war in Iraq I think people were a lot more trusting.   People were more happy to go on with everyday life and believe everything they were told and believe that everything was rosy and everything was running smoothly, and I don't think many people believe that anymore. Most people believe that we're being lied to and that there are things going on that we should know about that we don't.   Wars are happening for reasons that don't seem valid."

I mention the bravery Muse have shown in having such vehement lyrics as those scattered all over the album in songs such as 'Assassin', 'Take a Bow' and 'Invincible'. Wolstenholme explains, "I think the lyrics are quite brave but I think the way that Matt gets away with it is by not being so direct, you know? There is no reference to people or places.   I mean, the lyrics to 'Take a Bow'; you don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure out what it's about but at the same time, you could relate it to other situations because he doesn't say 'George Bush' and he doesn't relate to any other specific events." I ask whether exploring these topics was a band decision and he replies, "Well obviously Matt's the big writer and it was his decision to express that but I think they're all feelings that we agree with.   Lyrics are such a personal thing and it's not something that me or Dom have ever tried to interfere in because it's so personal."

In keeping with the tradition that they have established over their first three records, Black Holes and Revelations reshapes the band's signature sound and sees them exploring new musical territory. "I think it just happens naturally, I mean obviously lyrically as well as musically - different things have been going on in different periods of our lives.   Listening back to each album now kind of takes me back to the way we were at that particular point in time and I'm sure it's the same with most bands. I think personal things influence things and world events influence things, and I think that all of those sort of things will come across in each album," says Wolstenholme.

"We're enjoying the studio side of things a lot more than we used to, especially this time around because we all made an effort to learn how to use all the gear properly and learn how to use Pro Tools and things like that. In the past, we'd sort of go 'Oh, we need a synth idea' and we'd just let a studio assistant plug everything in and make it work.   I think for that reason, on this album, the synth stuff is a lot more upfront because we felt like it was something we'd contributed rather than something a producer or assistant contributed," explains Chris.

So does the band prefer to think in terms of a live show, or do they try to be as creative as possible in the studio?   "I think with the album we've just released, when we were working on that we tried not to think about the live environment at all because sometimes when you start thinking about the live environment, you basically set a whole bunch of limitations on yourself from the start as far as instrumentation and what you're going to use.   So we wanted to make sure we didn't have any limitations and that we were free to do what we wanted. We always knew that was something we would have to worry about when the time came. It all kind of worked out well with this album - we've got a fourth member on stage now which has helped a lot and I don't think there was anything that was too difficult to translate to stage," says Wolstenholme.

So what does the future hold for a band as unstoppable as Muse?   Chris ponders, "I don't think we're the kind of band to ever look too far ahead, you know? When we're making an album our main concern is making the album. At the same time, towards the later stages of a touring cycle, you start thinking about playing new songs and even start playing new songs on the road.   We're going to be booked up touring until July or August next year pretty solidly. I think that after this touring cycle we'll probably take a fairly hefty chunk of time off. We've never really done that before.   Every time we've finished touring we've had a couple of months off and then gone straight into writing the next album, so I'm pretty sure this time around we'll take more time off.   We're the kind of band that when it comes to writing material, we do that better when we're not touring."

From the midst of the touring maelstrom, the thought of doing the Big Day Out tour during Australia's burning summer must come as a tantalising prospect to three frozen Brits.   Chris agrees, "Yeah, absolutely. I mean, it's fucking miserable as hell here at the minute and around Christmas and January is usually when it hits its worst, so it'll be nice to get out and get into the summer! The Big Day Out was a very laid back festival compared to a lot of things that we've done. It's actually the best fun we've ever had on tour, I think. I love Australia for a start and there's nothing better than doing a show and then having five days off on the beach before the next one. I'm really looking forward to the shows and I do think Australia is probably the best place in the world to have days off!"

http://www.tsunamimag.com/MUSE.htm

IAMTerrified

Desconectado Beibi

• Administrando muserismo con arte 2012
  • You’ve been...a very...very...naughty little girl
Re: Entrevista a Chris: Tsunami Mag
« Respuesta #1 en: ſáb, 13 de Ene del 2007, a las 11:02:31 »
Por qué solo hace entrevistas cuando está solo?...Bueno, qué preguntas

Gracias por la entrevista ^^

Desconectado dead star

« Respuesta #2 en: Mar, 16 de Ene del 2007, a las 20:57:41 »
no entendi muy bien  xD

de todas maneras gracias por la entrevista  :wink:

La vida es una aplastante derrota tras otra, hasta que acabas deseando que se muera Flanders.

Desconectado Geles

« Respuesta #3 en: Lun, 29 de Ene del 2007, a las 20:44:10 »
Más vale tarde que nunca...

Traducción  :) : http://www.museabuse.com/smf/index.php?page=106

A todo ésto... que si el BDO es lo más divertido que hemos hecho, que si me encanta Australia, que si nos mola la playa, que si es el mejor sitio para irse de vacaciones... ni que les pagaran por hacer promoción de Australia, rediós!  :laugh:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012